Skip to main content

Melbourne CBD has now made it clear what business owners within the city need to do in order to advertise their businesses on portable signage boards. The reason for this legislation is to keep our beautiful city clean and clutter-free—and although we, at Ausign, agree with the Council’s recommendations and limits, we want our customers to know that we still offer limitless solutions to our designs and artwork.

If your business is located in the City of Melbourne, then you will have to apply for a permit by filling in the relevant forms, for which we will provide a link at the bottom of this post. Before you click on the link below, you must take these requirements and limitations into consideration:

What are the considerations?

  • Applicants must have public liability insurance greater than $10 million, specifically including the placement of the advertising board. The insurance must also list the City of Melbourne as an interested party.
  • The advertising board must be placed on the footpath in front of the premises being advertised.
  • Only one permit shall be issued to a business per building, even if the building has multiple tenants.

What is the cost?

At the date of this publication, the cost for an advertising board has been set at $72 per month for a minimum of three months. Also, payment for all the months applied must be paid in full. There is also a $205 application fee for any portable advertising board permit, and it is non-refundable.

Where are signs prohibited completely?

The following areas prohibit any advertising boards on:

  • Swanston Street between Flinders and Victoria streets
  • Collins Street between Spring and Spencer streets
  • Elizabeth Street between Flinders and Victoria streets
  • Bourke Street between Spring and Spencer streets
  • Lygon Street between Queensberry and Faraday streets
  • Southbank Promenade
  • Roadways that are used by both pedestrians and vehicles
  • Roadways that are intermittently closed.

Once you have submitted Your Application Form, the Council will send a Compliance Officer to inspect your premises.

If you want more information about potential restrictions of your signage, or would like to enquire about signage for your business, get in contact with one of our helpful consultants at Ausign today!

Related Tags: Signage Melbourne